Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Happy Birthday, Chai, and in loving memory of what was Morrow's parents' anniversary.

I wasn't allowed to have breakfast before general anaesthetic surgery. I got UNSCREWED this morning: I had all the metal removed from my right ankle (except for one deep screw). It took less than an hour.

In the recovery room, I had a packet of saltines and some water.

I came home really hungry, though, and had a wonderful lunch of a hard-boiled egg and some tabbouleh on romaine.

I slept almost all afternoon.

I let the Vicodin wear off so I could have a nice drink, and I wanted to invent something for the occasion. I didn't want to get into too many ingredients, so I started with lime juice and worked from there.

I dubbed this the "43 Minutes," guessing that's about how long the surgery took and because I used Licor 43 as an ingredient. Here is the drink and the recipe:

"43 Minutes"

2 oz. Bacardi Gold rum
3/4 oz. fresh lime juice
3/4 oz. Licor 43

Pour over ice and stir. If I had had one handy, I would garnish it with a sprig of rosemary.

Carol brought dinner for us and made a salad too. I swiped a piece of red bell pepper.

We ate dinner out in the carport where Carol and I play Scrabble, weather permitting. (And we played before dinner -- she beat me.)

Stuffed shells (on a glass plate, which hardly shows in the picture!!) were so good!! And not just because I didn't have to cook. I love pasta, which is precisely why I don't have it more often.

Ditto bread!

First a crust to mop up the pasta sauce.

And then another piece with butter!

I gorged on salad, even a second helping.

And as if this isn't enough (you'd think having no breakfast was a reason to stuff myself for dinner!!), a nice glass of red wine!

Who needs Vicodin????

And to really cap off the meal and the whole day, I wanted something chocolate. So Morrow, who has been so good to me all day, went out to the gas station and bought some chocolate ice cream, and I heated up a little bit of hot fudge sauce left over from last Christmas. It didn't heat up all that well, but it sure tasted good!!

And I had a cup of decaf but forgot to take a picture of it.

It doesn't look good in this picture, but it was!!

Since I won't be doing a lot of moving around for a couple of days (weeks?), I'd better get off the food cart!! Look for some slim rations for the next few days.

Meanwhile, I'm really tired and I think I WILL take that Vicodin!

No comments:

Post a Comment