Monday, September 6, 2010

Monday, September 6, 2010 - LABOR DAY

As if I were a working person, I slept late this holiday morning -- until 9 AM!

I had a "real" breakfast, mainly because there was nothing else in the house. I had yogurt with half a nectarine cut up in it, two dates sliced up in it, and a couple tablespoons of granola.

And a cup of decaf.

Spent a couple of hours pawing through racks of clothes at Goodwill and found some great bargains.

Considering I was finishing leftovers, I had a positively designer lunch. Leftover cold green beans, some cooked lobster meat from a shrimp and lobster Chinese dinner, and Amy's creamy Asiago salad dressing over the top. Looks as elegant as it tasted.

The cocktail picture is an embarrassment to me as a photographer -- out of focus (the camera focused on the broom in the background, even though the drink was the center of the picture.) It is a repeat of the cocktail I had last week that I spilled all over the floor. The original on which it was modeled is called the Big Fellow Apricot Sour and called for Scotch. I think I described this the time I spilled it. Anyway, mine was made with bourbon. Here is the recipe:
1 1/2 oz. bourbon
3/4 oz. lemon juice
3/4 oz. honey syrup (honey diluted half and half with warm water)
1/2 oz. orange juice
1 tsp. apricot preserves
1 1/2 oz. liquid egg white
3 dashes of Angostura bitters.

I made sure the apricot preserves were dissolved by mashing them in the shaker with the back of a bar spoon before adding the ice and egg white and shaking like crazy. The liquid egg whites work in drinks but not nearly to the effect that a real egg white does. I think it's because they are pasteurized and somehow liquified into one continuous pool of egg white.

Dinner was tacos. I was out of chili powder, so the seasoning was a little off, and the filling overcooked because I was fooling around making the fancy cocktail. And the ready-made, so-called fresh salsa I bought at Stop 'n' Shop was really dull. No cilantro in it. Pretty much just chopped tomatoes and onion with a little jalapeno. I'd have been better off making my own salsa! But for all the negatives, they tasted pretty good!

After dinner, I went for the first time to a group that meets every Monday night at Border's to knit, sew, crochet, or whatever handwork people are doing at the time. The woman who told me about it is the chairperson of the quilt category for the Harwinton Fair, and I had called her with questions about entries. The people were VERY NICE, and I took some of the Japanese fan blocks to applique to the background. One of the regulars was celebrating a birthday, so someone had brought a cake, and I bought a cup of decaf at the coffee shop there. A nice group, and I hope to become a regular.

When I got home, I made another cup of decaf which I did not photograph. Too busy doing this to do it, and I wanted to drink it while it was hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment